On October 1st I announced my goal of making at least one item a day, to donate to a hospital, in honor of Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month.
I did it. I actually far exceeded my goal of 31 items. Today was my first time taking everything out of the box and looking at it all together.
This is a very picture heavy post. I managed to make…
62 tiny hats,
12 very small hats,
15 small hats (and a cocoon,)
13 preemie small hats,
8 preemie medium hats,
8 preemie large hats,
2 preemie extra large hats. Well, the hat on the right I actually made for Miss C, but it came out on the small side. She did not have a small head, so it sat in a box waiting to be donated somewhere.)
That’s 120 hats. One hundred and twenty. Wow. And a cocoon.
I also made some blanket and hat sets. Sixteen of them! 10 blue and 6 pink (told you I over-corrected.) To be honest, four of the blankets were done, or almost done, before this project.
There are three small/medium sets,
six medium/large sets,
and seven newborn size sets.
sixteen sets, with a hat and a blanket each, is another 32 pieces. Plus the 120 hats, and the cocoon… I made 153 pieces? Wow. That’s just under 5 pieces a day. Can I say “wow” again?
I packaged the hats by size (roughly,) and tied all the sets together, labeled with the approximate head circumference. All together, they more than fill a large diaper box.
Honestly, I loved this project. It was emotionally challenging at times, but also a lot of fun. I got to try out yarns and techniques, and patterns which I never would have tried for a full size project. And hopefully each item will bring a little comfort to someone. And that feels amazing.
I would love to do this, or something similar, again next year. If I do, here are the things I would definitely repeat.
- corner to corner knit blanket (pink/yellow): easy and so classic.
- simple shells (light blue): easy, classic, and fancy.
- beautiful shells blanket (purple): takes a bit of time, but so classy.
- corner to corner crochet (three middle ones): easy and turns out nicely. For the hats I did a variation on this color banded preemie hat.
- V-stitch (stripes): easy, and looks awesome with the stripes.
- The dragonfly blanket. (peach): I love that one so much.