This is very similar to the Gardening Hat I made, but with a nice stripe pattern. I made it for my mom, who taught me all the gardening I know. It is a very simple pattern, which makes a women’s size. It works up very quickly and the pattern is easy to memorize.
My hydrangea cuttings are rooting! I checked a few days ago and there were little root buds, and a few little roots, at the bases of most of the cuttings (photo.) Today, some are rooted well enough that they can no longer be gently removed from the soil. None have rotted or wilted, so far.
We have had a very rainy spring. Now we have a serious black fly problem. If you don’t have black flies in your neck of the woods, consider yourself lucky. They are tiny little flies which swarm your head and get everywhere. They love to bite right next to eyes, inside ears, under your hair. And their bites bleed.
I needed a gardening hat. I wanted something cotton. I actually had a couple knit ones I ordered on Etsy (just because.) I sprayed the hats with bug spray. They work wonderfully. Unfortunately, the boys and I can’t all wear two hats at the same time. I also wanted something a little nicer to wear while on the local hiking trail with the kids.
This method should work for most shrubs*, although some root more easily than others. I have only used it for hydrangeas.
Our weather this spring has alternated between pouring rain and scorching sun. It might not have been the best year to decide to expand my garden.
Even though I was able to get the grass cleared away for me (we were having backyard work done) it has been a tough project. We live in an area with too many deer and need a good fence. The fence alone took me 10-12 hours over 4 days. Now, I’m working on prepping the rock-hard soil and planting. It is eating up a lot of free time I don’t really have.
Oh my goodness, where to begin?
I need to crochet a griffon, crochet a songbird, and knit a duplicate of Miss C’s favorite blankie. I need to sew in all the ends on the hats (I think I made it to 27) and flowers, sew pins to the flowers, and send them on their way.
And it’s May, so there’s gardening. Lots of gardening. I spent three hours (nap time) yesterday getting started with the gardening. I re-purposed my failed asparagus bed as a salad garden. I planted five more raspberry plants to extend my bramble “fence” along the wooded/wetland side of the yard. I extended our blueberry row by two plants, which involved cutting out the sod, putting down landscape fabric, planting, and extending our deer fence. And I measured and mapped the vegetable garden, which I am planning to expand to twice the old size this year.
That leaves expanding the garden, (grass removal, fencing, etc,) moving strawberry plants, laying out the garden, planting the garden, doing some weeding around the yard, removing some invasive plants around the yard, and so on.
I’m not doing a bale garden this year. I didn’t remember to get bales in time.
And I’m probably forgetting something.
It’s the new year, and that means I get to plan my new garden!
I like the heirloom mini varieties of tomatoes and peppers. I just ordered seeds from Baker Creek and Totally Tomatoes. I kind of went overboard and have to find room for 12 varieties of mini peppers (two of which are hot at my husband’s request) and 13-15 varieties of cherry/grape/currant tomatoes. It’s about comparable to the number of plants we grew last year, but I have more varieties this year. Fortunately, I’m also planning to double the size of the garden, although the new area won’t quite get full sun.